Ashed Wire Insulation from a House Fire
This is a piece of ash from the burned cotton/asphalt insulation on house wiring as a result of a house fire. Tapelifts
maintain the spatial distribution of artifacts such as this ash so that their source can be identified.
Transmitted Off Crossed Polarized Light and Reflected Darkfield Illumination
Significance in the Environment:
This is from an older type of house wiring that was insulated by a coating of tar or asphalt saturated cotton fabric. Particles like this indicate
that the wiring in the wall of the home was exposed to open fire when and/or where there was ample oxygen. That is often where the fire began.